Retesting Testing also called as confirmation testing. Retesting make sure that the test cases which was failed in previous test execution cycle is passed in the current execution cycle. The test case will pass if the defect reported against the test cases is fixed or rejected.
Process of Retesting
- During the execution of test cases, the tester found a defect.
- Tester report that defect in test management tool.
- Tester update the actual behavior in test cases make that test step or test case as the fail.
- In new release, defect is fixed as per developer comment in test management tool
- Tester re-execute same test cases which were failed in previous test execution cycle.
- Now the test will pass if the defect fixed and a system is working as per the requirement.
Why Retesting is important?
Retesting is important as it is the only testing type which verify the issues or defect reported by the testing team is fixed as per requirement or not. The testing team has rights to reject the claim done by the development team of fixing the defect. If the defect is reproducible tester can reopen the defect and again defect will follow the defect life cycle.
While retesting the fixed defect we need to take care of the environment, test data, system configuration and the rest of the things same as like the environment where we have found the defect.
Retesting is the planned type of testing and done only in case of some failure of test cases. During new release retesting is at always at high priority and need to conduct as soon as we got the build. Many times it has been seen retesting is compromised with regression testing and retesting is skipped. It should not be the case for the bigger project. The scope of retesting should be available within the system.